Steps to becoming a classroom teacher or substitute

This page is an ongoing work in progress resource for K students who do not have a direct route to K-12 teacher certification through Kalamazoo College.

Substitute Teaching with Kalamazoo Public Schools (KPS)

Steps to becoming a Guest (substitute) Teacher with KPS:

  1. Get together a copy of your current transcripts: 
    1. you must have at least 60 college credits (Junior status at K College)
    2. you must have at least a 2.0 GPA
  2. Go to KPS building on Howard Street between 8 AM – 5 PM, Monday through Friday
  3. When you arrive, ask for Human Resources.
  4. Fill out required paperwork and interview on the spot!
  5. Submit to fingerprinting at the KPS building (fees covered).
  6. KPS takes care of teaching certificate (fees to State of Michigan covered).
  7. Earn $125 per full day of subbing, and up to $145 per day for long-term substitute jobs.
    1. You may also serve as a sub for secretaries, library assistants, parapros, etc.
  8. Have questions? Please contact:

Options for Obtaining Teacher Certification Post-Graduation in Michigan: