For Kalamazoo College students exploring various career options, the Discovery Externship Program affords a unique opportunity to learn from alumni professionals. Discovery Externships are unpaid job shadows for first-year and sophomore students to explore a career interest area in a hands-on setting, while building relationships that have the potential to be meaningful and lasting. Externships offer many benefits:
- Access to professionals in your field of interest
- First-hand experience in your field of interest
- Enhancing your professional and personal skills
- Meeting your individual learning goals
- Reflecting on outcomes and future options
- Networking with alumni and their colleagues
- Mentoring and informal discussion
During an externship, students may have opportunities for observation and access to other professionals in the field (comparative shadow experiences). Because of the shorter time-frame, it is not uncommon for students to fit both an externship and a separate paid job into their summers.
The Center for Career and Professional Development is piloting Externship Treks in 2024, in which a group of students will complete short job shadows with alumni hosts simultaneously in one city. The CCPD will provide transportation, food, and lodging for student externs.
A Chicago Externship Trek will be piloted June 12-14, 2024. If you are an alum working in the city of Chicago interested in potentially hosting an extern, please complete this form: Chicago Externship Trek: Alumni Interest Sign Up