Campus Employment

Kalamazoo College students work in a variety of capacities for the College, as well as through some of our off-campus partnerships. Students can work on-campus during the academic year or during summer vacation. There are slight differences between academic year and summer campus employment. In most cases, prior experience is not a requirement for campus employment. Supervisors in different departments across campus post their open positions in our job/internship database and make hiring decisions for their position(s). Our staff does not select students for open positions.

Updates to Campus Employment for Academic Year 2022-2023 – Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Year Campus Employment

Consider your academic schedule and extracurricular commitments when making the decision to work on-campus. The benefits of working on-campus during the school year include:

  • 1-4 hour(s) work shifts
  • Work shifts scheduled around your academic responsibilities
  • Campus supervisors who may be more sympathetic to stressful academic weeks

Most students work a total of 8-10 hours per week for the 10 weeks of a quarter. Some positions are designed to require less time, some a bit more, and most will flex around busy times—this all depends on the department, project needs, and academic workloads. With a consistent schedule, students who work during the week can manage their out-of-class schedules quite well, setting aside time to study, complete assignments, workout, or spend time on themselves. Talking with your academic advisor may help you in this decision-making process.

There are many ways that you can find a position on-campus. Some jobs, like student leadership positions, are filled before the school year begins. Returning students often retain positions they have held in the past.

Searching for Campus Employment on Handshake

  • In early August you received an invitation (via your K email) to join Handshake and complete your profile.
  • If you have not done so already, to activate and update your profile follow these easy steps:
    1. Visit the Join Handshake website and click on the blue button that says “Kalamazoo College Sign On.”
    2. Use your KNet Username and current password to sign in. Follow the prompts to activate your profile.
    3. Use the “Jobs” tab to search for on-campus employment.
  • Some campus employer application instructions may include the submission of a resume.

While many positions are posted to our job/internship database, Student Leadership Positions are filled during Spring Quarter of the current academic year for the following year. These positions include, but are not limited to Resident Advisors, International Program Peer Advisors, Career Ambassadors, LandSea Leaders, and Writing Center Tutors. If you are interested in one of these positions, please visit Student Leadership Positions for more information.

Work/Study Students

The Work/Study program is a form of need-based financial aid that sets aside funding you can earn through a campus position or an approved, pre-arranged off-campus service program. At Kalamazoo College the off-campus service programs are coordinated by The Mary Jane Underwood Stryker Center for Civic Engagement.

Work/Study funds are not credited to your account; you must actually work in a campus job or through an off-campus service program to receive this funding. Every two weeks you work, you turn in a timesheet and receive a paycheck. Students who have a Work/Study award are given priority for hiring consideration. You may check your Work/Study annual award level on the “Hornet Hive.” For complete information on Work/Study policies and procedures, please go to the Financial Aid website.

Campus Employment Process for First-Year & Transfer Students

Summer Campus Employment

Summer employment at Kalamazoo College is different than academic year employment in that Work/Study awards do not apply. Students who work a minimum of 32 hours/week may be eligible for on-campus housing. 

Helpful Links

HR Student Employment Info

Important Student Payroll Info

Required Documents for Employment

Service-Learning at K

If you have any questions about Campus Employment, please contact the Center for Career and Professional Development or come in and see us!