Discovery Externship Program Financial Considerations
The CCPD realizes that finances can be a deciding factor when committing to being an extern. Although externships are unpaid, through the generous contributions of a few Kalamazoo alumni and other friends of the College, the CCPD is able to subsidize a significant proportion of the expenses associated with doing a Discovery Externship.
The Good News…
- PLANE or TRAIN TRAVEL
- The CCPD covers between 50% – 90% of the cost of travel for students to participate in an externship. Students with medium or high financial need as determined by the Financial Aid Office are reimbursed 90% of the travel costs (extern covers 10%), while students with no need or low need are reimbursed 50% of travel costs (extern covers 50%).
- Extern purchases own airline/train tickets–reimbursement is provided upon submission of travel itinerary.
- Tickets purchased using Frequent Flier miles cannot be reimbursed.
- All costs due to any change may be the responsibility of the student.
- Extern is responsible for communicating any changes to the sponsor and the CCPD.
- Assistance with travel expense are not available for local track externships.
- AUTOMOBILE TRAVEL
- CCPD provides some funding for driving expenses to and from an externship outside of a 100-mile radius of campus or extern’s home.
- Commuting expenses to and from externship are paid for out of the travel-related funds given to each student (see below).
- This is a generous contribution from K alums, providing an extern with free or minimal-cost housing.
- Whenever possible, externships will come with a homestay provided by either the sponsor of the externship or an area alumna/us.
TRAVEL RELATED EXPENSES:
CCPD provides funds ($15/day) to help cover any actual expenses incurred during the externship, up to a maximum of 2 weeks in length.
- USES: meals, bus fare, parking, commuting costs, etc. It is not to be used for personal items such as clothing or toiletries. Students are responsible for all other excess costs.
- RECEIVING FUNDS: Students are HIGHLY ENCOURAGED to set up Direct Deposit (done through the Hornet Hive Portal). The funds will be deposited directly into their bank account. To avoid interference with financial aid awards the funds will be dispersed after June 15 in accordance with College policy. Students are responsible for any tax implications.
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: OPT is not required to participate in the Discovery Externship Program.
The Bad News…
WITHDRAWAL FROM PROGRAM
- A student who withdraws must reimburse the CCPD for the full cost of the transportation ticket.
- A student who withdraws must return all funding received from CCPD.
FAILURE TO FULFILL PARTICIPANT RESPONSIBILITIES
- Extern will be charged for all costs associated with the Discovery Externship experience.
NOTE: As participation in the program is a serious commitment and because important long-term relationships are at stake, students will be charged these fees accordingly. (It is your responsibility to communicate all financial obligations with whomever is responsible for paying your student account.) In the unfortunate event of illness, injury, or other extenuating circumstances, the CCPD reserved the right to waive the above policies.