K alumni can make a significant contribution to students’ growth and workplace readiness by serving as mentors.
No matter where you live and work, or how much or little time you have to offer, there are many ways you can mentor students and recent grads. You might:
- Discuss career options, providing information about your own career and professional path
- Provide a practice phone or Skype interview
- Critique resumes or cover letters and provide feedback
- Help a student make connections with other professionals in your field
- Offer a job shadow or on-site visit to your place of employment
- Assist with finding full-time employment
- Share entry-level job openings via Handshake
- Discuss graduate school programs with which you are familiar
- Host an employer table at recruiting events on campus
- Visit campus for career panel discussions or Passions to Professions events
- And more…
How do I get started as a mentor?
The Kalamazoo College Career Mentoring Network is a mobile-friendly platform designed specifically to help K students and alumni connect. Students can browse lists of alumni who are working in fields that they’re interested in exploring, and then request one-on-one advisory sessions. You don’t need to be an expert or a luminary; all it takes is a few minutes to set up your profile (many fields can be pulled from your LinkedIn profile), and a willingness to talk about your career path, share advice, and provide insights on how you got from there to here. To get started, go to Wisr.